Forum rules - please read before posting.

Questions about the journal system and multiple books

Hi there, I would appreciate some assistance with the Journal system.

In my game I have a number of books that the player can find for clues and/or background information. I've completed the “Creating A Diary System” tutorial to set up a book template and it works fine.

However, I’m unsure of how I should go about when creating subsequent books. I can create a Journal element under the Book Menu for each additional book, but it appears as though the forward and back buttons can only be linked to one Journal element. Also, I’m not sure how to call different journals when using an Actionlist. I’ve played around with the Menu > Select Element action type and the Show Menu Element change type , but I can’t get the correct Journal to show.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• For books that the Player can find around the game world, you'll want to rely on Documents rather than Journals.

A Journal is a special kind of Document that is part of the menu itself, and can be added to in-game. A Document is instead separate from the menu, and so all Documents can be viewed in a single menu.

To create a Document, go to the "Documents" tab in the Inventory Manager.

To view Documents, use the Document: Open Action. To show it in a Menu, you'll need to have a menu with an Appear type set to On View Document, and within it have a Journal element that has its Journal type property set to Display Active Document.

For more, see the Manual's "Documents" chapter.

• Thanks Chris, I've tried using the Document system for the books and it works well.

Is there a tutorial on how to create a list of all the documents the player has collected? From the manual it appears as though I should create a similar system as the Inventory system?

• Not currently, but thanks for the suggestion.

A list of collected Documents can be created with an InventoryBox element whose Inventory box type property is set to Collected Documents. Place this in a new Menu if you want it to be displayed separately - it's Appear type will depend on how/when you want to show it.

• Thanks Chris, got it.