Forum rules - please read before posting.

How to iterate through the array of AC variables?

edited November 2021 in Technical Q&A

Hello fellow AC users! It's been awhile :)
I have been working on my next game just by using AC scripting guide and getting better and better at it. Fantastic tool.
But I need a helping hand on this one.

I have 100 level Ui unity icons and you can skip levels in the game but if some of them are won I want to set a wining cup image visible over those level icons that got unlocked.
I have an array of 100 cups images. And 100 global LevelWon AC variables, like 19: LevelWon/Level01, 20:LevelWon/Level02 , 21:LevelWon/Level03 and so on.

So how do I iterate through AC variables? How do I declare an array of AC variables to go through?
I need to go through the variables and if the level is won, go through the array Cup icons and set visible the ones corresponding to the specific variable .

Below is the modification of a script I made to work on unlocking level icons and now trying to use it for unlocking specific Cup icons over levels buttons that have been won.

namespace AC { }
public class LevelSelection : MonoBehaviour
{
public GameObject[] CupIcons;

void Start()
    {

}

void UnlockCupIcons()
    {
        int levelAt = AC.GlobalVariables.GetIntegerValue(3); // Need to change this to some how declare AC variable array instead to iterate through

for (int i = 0; i < lvlButtons.Length; i++)
        {

if (i + 0 <= levelAt)
            {
                CupIcons[i].SetActive(true);

//Debug.Log("LevelNow" + levelPick);

}
        }
    }
}

The closest about how to iterate through the variables I could fine on the forums is this https://adventurecreator.org/forum/discussion/9820/using-script-to-get-a-list-of-objectives

Using:
AC v1.73.3
Unity 2021.16f1

Comments

• As your variables all rely on a shared naming convention, it may be possible to instead iterate through CupIcons instead and work out its associated variable from its index number. Something like:

void UnlockCupIcons()
    {
        for (int i = 0; i < CupIcons.Length; i++)
        {
            int variableNameIndex = i + 1; // Start from LevelWon/Level01, not LevelWon/Level00
            string variableName = "LevelWon/Level" + variableNameIndex.ToString ("00"); // Convert e.g. 1 to 01, 2 to 02 etc
            AC.GVar variable = AC.GlobalVariables.GetVariable (variableName);
            int variableValue = variable.IntegerValue;
        }
    }

If you were interested in taking things a little further in complexity, it would be possible to condense these values into a single String variable that represents all level variable values in one. It would be tricky to combine these values into a string when saving, and extract them again when loading, but it would be feasible.

• Marvelous way to go through AC variables! Thank you Chris :)

And just for those who might wanna use it, here is the complete function-method with check condition.

void UnlockCupIcons()
    {
        for (int i = 0; i < CupIcons.Length; i++)
        {
            int variableNameIndex = i + 1; // Start from LevelWon/Level01, not  LevelWon/Level00
            string variableName = "LevelWon/Level" + variableNameIndex.ToString("00"); // Convert e.g. 1 to 01, 2 to 02 etc
            AC.GVar variable = AC.GlobalVariables.GetVariable(variableName);
            int variableValue = variable.IntegerValue;

if (0 != variableValue)
                 {
                   CupIcons[i].SetActive(true);
                   Debug.Log("CupWon" + variableNameIndex);
                }
        }
    }