Forum rules - please read before posting.

Scene graphs

Hello - and thanks for an awesome plugin! I had been playing around with this a couple of years ago, and the first thing I noticed was that it seemed pretty laborious to create a game with a large number (10+) of scenes, mainly making the exists/doors which go to various other rooms/scenes. Creating all the hot spots manually, naming them, linking them to scenes took a LONG time to setup.

I recently came across a gamedev vlog on YouTube where the guy has written a custom graph to connect his scenes via doors. He says it uses a "graph view experimental library". Even though he is not using AC, I was wondering how hard it would be to do something like this in AC, since to me it seems the most intuitive way to create a game with lots of rooms.

The link is here timestamp 9:39 -

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @mystery_graham.

An interesting solution! It's certainly an approach that works well for this developer's project, and is helped by the fact that his implemenation is written with the exact needs of his own project in mind. When considering an approach that would feasibly work for AC projects in general, things do become more complicated.

The act of having a concept of a "scene exit" that - with the correct data assigned - can be used to handle the moving of scene to scene automatically should be quite do-able in AC. The real difficulty would be in the creation of that data - i.e. connecting the dots between scenes.

I shall give this some thought - thanks for sharing.