Forum rules - please read before posting.

Conversation link not working

Good day

For some reason the links (options) in my conversation menu are not working when running the game. I've set up a hotspot with a talk interaction in my 2D game, then used the Dialog: Start Conversation action to run a Conversation with two options. I selected Override Options in order to create the dialogs in the same action list. When I run the game, the conversation options pop up when I click on the hotspot, but when I click on the options themselves to trigger the dialogs nothing happens. The conversation options do change color (highlight) when I hover over them, so it appears as though the game recognizes the interactions.

Normal dialog works fine when not triggered from a Conversation Menu, I've also created similar conversations in a couple of other scenes just for testing, and the issue persists in every scene. Is there perhaps some obvious settings I should check before sharing screenshots of my settings? Also, what is the best way to share screenshots on these forums?

Thanks.

Comments

• Some additional information: I've set up a simple scene with a hotspot that triggers a conversation with two options. When clicking on either of these options, an action is triggered that changes a variable from False to True. However, nothing happens when I click on the conversation options (the variable stays False).

I've also deselected Override Options in the Dialog: Start Conversation action, and created separate action lists for each conversation option. This does not work either, there is no reaction when clicking on the conversation options.

From everything I've tried it appears as though the game does not register when I click on the elements in the conversation tree. I'll really appreciate some guidance on solving the problem, or any additional information I should provide that would be of assistance.

• Okay, so I've found the issue.

During dialog the player can hide and show the subtitles menu by pressing spacebar. However, if the player presses the left mouse button to progress dialog while the subtitles menu is hidden, I have an active input that first shows the subtitle menu before progressing with dialog. This is interfering with the Conversation option selection, if I delete that specific active input the conversation menu is working as intended.

• I'll attempt a recreation. Can you share images/steps necessary to recreate the way your custom subtitle behaviour is set up?

The forum doesn't allow direct image uploading, but screenshots can be uploaded to e.g. imgur.com and links pasted here.

A quick note when it comes to debugging, as you mentioned testing with a variable: it's possible to enable comments for a given Action by clicking its cog icon in the ActionList Editor window. These comments can optionally be printed in the Console when the Action is run, via the Action comment logging field at the bottom of the Settings Manager.

• Hi Chris

The issue seems to be that the left mouse button was shared between selecting Conversation options, and an active input to unhide the Subtitles menu (if previously hidden by the player). I've fixed this by changing the way the active inputs are structured, so I don't have an issue anymore. I don't believe it's a potential problem with AC, just poor programming on my side!