Forum rules - please read before posting.

Possible to add a second dialogue system?

The characters in my game use Smartphones to communicate as well. I want it to play out the same way normal dialogues do. I figure I can just copy the "DialogueList" element from the Dialogue Menu and put it on my custom menu.

But after doing so no default text appears and I can not see any change. What did I miss to make it work as intended?
Also, I figure I can trigger the menu with custom actions and events, but how do I control it? Is there a way to construct a dialogue the classic way but specify it to appear in the specific menu?

And will it work with direct input as well?

Comments

• Oh and another question:

I tried setting up a "Turn Off Menu" Button and had no success activating it with the "alternative input button". I also tried "Run Action List" for debugging and it still is not working. I set the button up in the Input Manager and it works outside the menu

https://imgur.com/88NoFAK

• I figure I can just copy the "DialogueList" element from the Dialogue Menu and put it on my custom menu. But after doing so no default text appears and I can not see any change. What did I miss to make it work as intended?

What is your Menu's Appear type set to? If it's set to During Conversation, then a regular DialogList element should be enough.

If it's instead set to e.g. Manual, you will either need to turn the Menu on after calling the Dialogue: Start conversation Action, or rely on a short custom script to connect the Conversation to the element. That can be done with:

Conversation myConversation = GetComponent<Conversation> ();
    Menu menu = PlayerMenus.GetMenuWithName ("MyConversationMenu");
    MenuDialogList dialogList = menu.GetElementWithName ("DialogList");
    dialogList.OverrideConversation = myConversation;
    myConversation.LinkedDialogList = dialogList;
    menu.Recalculate ();

And will it work with direct input as well?

You will need to ensure that Directly-navigate Menus during Conversations? is checked at the top of the Menu Manager, and - if you use Unity UI - that you've specified an element to first select.

I tried setting up a "Turn Off Menu" Button and had no success activating it with the "alternative input button".

I'll attempt a recreation. Can you share the Menu's properties, your AC version, and the Input's details in the Input Manager?