Forum rules - please read before posting.

Character speaking multiple lines creates short flicker in subs between each line.

edited November 2021 in Technical Q&A

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for the amazing tool. I'm very new to AC but it's a joy to work with! o:)

I am currently creating a dialog-heavy game and have noticed a problem when having a character speaking multiple lines.
For the dialog, I am using the usual "Dialogue: Play speech"

However, in-game, between each line of the speech, the game flickers shortly before showing the next line.
I have tried turning off "Transition type" in the Menu settings and while this helped a little, the flicker still happens and can be very noticable at times.

Video example:
https://i.imgur.com/DAFS7in.mp4

I assume that it is due to the Menu setting "Appear type: When Speech plays", and that between each line the game for a split-second does not play speech and thus hides the menu?

For a solution I have tried out turning on the menu manually and then turning it off after each conversation, but this seems cumbersome and I was wondering if there is a better solution?

On another note: I have also tried using a Unity UI Prefab and controlling this through the AC Menu, but the flicker persists here too.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or solutions! :)

Version:|
Unity 2020.3.22f1
Adventure Creator v1.74.2

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @YBusbach2.

Try unchecking Duplicate for each line? in the Menu's properties box. When checked, each speech line is displayed in a separate menu - so each line causes a menu to be turned on and off. Unchecked, the menu will be used for all lines, so it may help with this effect.

Have a look through the top of the Speech Manager as well, to check that you don't have an automatic delay set between lines via the Initial post-line delay (s) field.

• Hi Chris,

Thanks for your suggestions!

I have taken a look at the Speech Manager to make sure that Dialog lines do not have an automatic delay.

Afterward, I turned off "Duplicate for each line?".

Unfortunately the problem still persists.

From my testing I have noticed that the flicker does not happen when the Menu is turned on manually before a conversation, and then turned off afterwards. The flicker only happens when the Menu is set to appear "When Speech plays".

I would surmise that it turns off ever so briefly between each line of speech. Would there be an easy way to simply add a delay to the end of the "When speech plays" function, to stop it from turning off instantly?

• If you're using Unity UI, try setting the Transition type to Canvas Group Fade, and assign a very low (but non-zero) transition time. If no Canvas Group is actually attached, it should be that it just remains on-screen before turning off.