Forum rules - please read before posting.

Optimise menus

Good day

I don't have a problem as such, but would like to determine if there is a more efficient way to use menus in my game, specifically the back button. It is a 2D game, and when the player clicks on a character in a scene the game zooms in for the conversation. I have created a menu button that returns the game to the original, high-level scene view when clicked. This works well, but when a similar scenario arises in the next scene I have to create a new button to return the player to the new scene view after the conversation.

Basically, with the way I've implemented it, I would need a new menu with a back button for every scene where I want to zoom in and return afterwards. Is this the best way to implement the back button, or is it possible to create a universal menu that will return the game to the high level scene view? Also, is it common to create a lot of new menus, I find it very useful, but can easily see my game using many, many of them. I'd like to say more than a hundred, but it probably won't be as bad as that!

Thanks.

Comments

• You wouldn't need to create a new Menu for each "close up" instance - you can rely on ActionList parameters to re-use the same Menu/Button for each situation.

ActionList parameters are a way of repurposing ActionLists for different situations, by modifying field values at runtime. A tutorial can be found here.

What parameters and fields you make use of exactly will depend on your situation, but one technique could be to simply define a GameObject parameter that is used to override an ActionList: Run Action's ActionList to run field. This could then be set to another ActionList that contains the unique Actions needed for exiting that particular close-up (e.g. switching to the correct camera).

At the time that the close-up begins, you can set your Close-up's Button ActionList parameter values with another ActionList: Run Action, with its Method set to Set Parameters Only.

• Thanks Chris, I'll give this a try. Sorry to reply only now, but I was travelling for work and only returned this weekend.