Forum rules - please read before posting.

Flash Hotspots Without Object

Good day

Is it possible to flash a hotspot that does not have an object associated with it? For example, the map of my game is an image file showing various locations, with hotspots over the areas of interest. I do know how to flash objects associated with hotspots in the rest of my scenes, but in this case I need the hotspot itself to light up. I've tried superimposing an invisible square over the hotspot as a proxy object, but that does not light up (being invisible).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• edited November 2021

For an effect to be visible, a Renderer component is required. This need not necessarily be a Mesh Renderer - Sprite Renderers can work as well.

It is possible to uncheck the Highlight component's Auto-brighten materials when enabled? option, and use the Call custom events? feature to make use of a custom means of displaying an effect - but you'd need a custom script and/or shader to handle the effect itself, and again a Renderer would be necessary.

The other option would be to make use of Hotspot icons, which can work with a Highlight component that has no associated Renderer. To enable this, set the Settings Manager's Display Hotspot icons field to either Only When Flashing or Only When Highlighting. This wouldn't highlight the exact shape of the Hotspot, but will at least give an indicator of what's interactive.

• Thanks, the second option works well enough for the map.

• I have a follow-up question regarding flashing of hotspots.

One of my scenes has a couple of image files arranged next to each other, with hotspots triggering the transition between the images via a camera switch. For example, the first image shows a closed door with a hotspot over the door handle. When interacting with this hotspot, the game switches cameras to the second image that shows an office with a hotspot over the desk.

I set up the hotspots to highlight when the player presses a hint button, and this works perfectly for the first image (displays the door hotspot Icon), but does not work in the second image (for the desk hotspot icon). When I move the desk hotspot to the first image it does indeed flash the icon, but when I move it back to the second image it stops working again. I've tried adding an object with a highlight component to the second scene, and this works as it should (the object highlights).

I hope this makes sense, please let me know if you require additional information.

• So that I'm clear on the situation, can you share screens showing how the two appear in-game?

Best to see screens also of their Inspectors and Settings Manager.

• I have found a workaround by creating cutouts of the areas I want to be interactable and superimposing it over the image. That actually works a lot better, as now there is an object that flashes. Sorry if I wasted your time with this...