Forum rules - please read before posting.

Animate player prefab from Timeline

Hi,

Is it possible to animate the player prefab from a timeline in scene?

Comments

• edited November 2021

It is - animate a local instance of the Player in Edit mode, and then remove from the scene.

Then, remap track bindings inside the Engine: Control Timeline Action, checking Bind to Player? for tracks to want to be mapped to the Player.

• Marvellous! and is it possible to fade out an AC camera to black in a timeline?

• Yes - with AC's Camera Fade track.

See the Manual's "Working with Timeline" chapter for full details on what Timeline tracks AC includes.

• edited November 2021

ok got it!

• So I defo cannot get this to work:

It is - animate a local instance of the Player in Edit mode, and then remove from the scene.

Then, remap track bindings inside the Engine: Control Timeline Action, checking Bind to Player? for tracks to want to be mapped to the Player.

Please see video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nanch329aizaqb2/PlayerTimeine.mov?dl=0

• The main thing I'm seeing is that gameplay is active while the Timeline is running. Is your ActionList set to Block Gameplay?

The current release has an issue with the Engine: Control Timeline Action's Wait until finish? option. This will be addressed, but in the meantime you can get around this by unchecking the option and adding an Engine: Wait Action that matches the Timeline's duration.

In terms of locating the correct Timeline track to rebind, you can rename them from the top of their Inspectors.

When it comes to having 2D characters move in Timeline, do not use Animation tracks to handle their idle/walk animations - only for their position. Instead, use AC's "Character Animation 2D" track type, which causes the correct idle/walk animation to be played based on the character's motion due to a separate Animation track.

See the Manual's "Character Animation 2D tracks" chapter for details on this.

• The main thing I'm seeing is that gameplay is active while the Timeline is running. Is your ActionList set to Block Gameplay?

It is. I will set an engine wait action.

do not use Animation tracks to handle their idle/walk animations - only for their position. Instead, use AC's "Character Animation 2D" track type, which causes the correct idle/walk animation to be played based on the character's motion due to a separate Animation track.

So i can only ad a 2d shot to these tracks? what do i do then?

• So i can only ad a 2d shot to these tracks? what do i do then?

Use an Animation track to control the character's position - just have an additional Character Animation 2D track run at the same time to handle their actual sprite animation. You can still rely on other tracks i.e. Speech. Again, see the Manual for details.