Forum rules - please read before posting.

Enable/ Disable a gameobject in a scene with an action

edited October 2021 in Technical Q&A

I know I can affect an object's visibility, teleport and instantiate from a prefab. But is there a way to enable or disable a gameobject that is in the scene with an action in an actionlist? Would be useful to me if it doesn't wreck havoc with the save system.

UPDATE-- found other posts that explain the reason for the absence of this functionality. Thanks.

Comments

• Is the object: call event - set active action dangerous to use and not recommended or has the newest version of unity and AC made this acceptable?

• In general I recommend caution when enabling/disabling GameObjects, but that's not a version issue. A disabled object will be invisible to AC so far as operations such the save system go.

If the object itself isn't AC-related you should be able to use this Action to affect it, but it really does depend on the situation.

What is the scenario?

• One scenario is an object (a portal) that is a particle effect with a hotspot, actionlist, etc parented to the particle effect. I was looking to activate and deactivate it under various circumstances. Currently I am teleporting it from off screen. I suppose I could turn it into a prefab with parameters but sometimes I’m lazy.

• You should be able to manually activate/deactivate it so long as you did away with any Remember components for it and updated its state manually in an OnLoad cutscene.

Aside from teleporting / spawning it, though, another possible option would be to place it in a scene of its own and add/remove the scene using the Scene: Add or remove Action.

• edited November 2022