Forum rules - please read before posting.

Script - Check no action lists are running

edited October 2021 in Technical Q&A

Hello,

Is there a way in script of checking if no action lists are running? Thanks!

Comments

• You can query if a particular ActionList is running, but it's not so simple to to a check for any/all - since you can have background, paused lists etc.

What's the intent here? To determine if the game is in a cutscene?

• edited October 2021

No. It's to determine when changing an input device, which could happen at any moment, if it's safe for the player to say a comment ("Oh, we're using a keyboard! I used to have stuffed keyboard when I was a baby. Good 'ol Mr Keys..." (I shouldn't type before my morning coffee) but I don't want that to happen if an action list is already running in the scene as it might clash / interrupt player dialogue.

• You can determine if any dialogue is playing with IsAnySpeechPlaying:

if (AC.KickStarter.dialog.IsAnySpeechPlaying (true)) { }

To also check if you're currently in gameplay:

if (AC.KickStarter.stateHandler.IsInGameplay ()) { }

• edited October 2021

Hmmm those checks might be enough. Maybe. Perhaps. There's still a risk an action list is running and the player is about to say something, and a load of input related dialogue pops up just before. Not sure what would happen then. I imagine they might overlap.

Alternatively, is it possible to have player dialogue occur when the game is paused?

• Try this:

private bool AreActionsRunning ()
    {
        foreach (ActiveList activeList in KickStarter.actionListManager.ActiveLists)
        {
            if (activeList.IsRunning ())
            {
                return true;
            }
        }

foreach (ActiveList activeList in KickStarter.actionListAssetManager.ActiveLists)
        {
            if (activeList.IsRunning ())
            {
                return true;
            }
        }

return false;
    }

• I'll give it a go today. Thank you kind sir.

• Seems to work like a charm.