Forum rules - please read before posting.

Check if Pickup Object Has Been Thrown?

edited September 2021 in Technical Q&A

Is there a way to check the current velocity/force applied of a pickup object in an Interaction upon being let go, and then use that as a variable? What I want to do is play a whoosh sound when the object is thrown, but not when it's being set down. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Or alternatively, I could check if the object "isBeingThrown", and I set a custom variable for that in the PickUp C# script, but am unsure how to access it within an ActionList.

Comments

• Sounds like a good case for the addition of an OnPickUpThrow custom event - I'll look into this.

• edited October 2021

I might be missing some things, but how difficult would it be to add custom events myself? If I could it would make AC a lot more powerful for me. Or if I could reference a C# script's variable as an AC variable and then access it in the action editor, that would work also. I like AC's default stuff as a great starting point for getting a game up and running, but it would be good to have further freedom as it progresses.

• All events are handled by the EventSystem script, if you want to edit/add additional events.

Linking an AC variable to a C# script variable is already possible, however. A Global or Component variable's Link to field can be set to Custom Script. A script can then be hooked into the OnUploadVariable / OnDownloadVariable events to sync its value with something else.

See the Manual's "Variable linking" chapter for details, and the included "Variable Linking Example" script for an example.