Forum rules - please read before posting.

Random idle animation for main character

Hello,

AC = 1.74.2
Unity = 2020.3.16f1

Our main character animation made with standard Sprites Unity animation engine and our character has walk and idle animations for all eight directions. But is there any way to have several idle animations for each direction and play them randomly with random time intervals when character is in idle?

Comments

• For anything custom like this, switch to Sprites Unity Complex for your character's animation engine.

With this, you can then add transitions from your "default" idle animation(s) to others based on the value of an Integer parameter. A custom script can then be used to update this parameter's value randomly.

• Thank you Chris,

Is this possible to use Sprites Unity Complex for main character animations and Sprites Unity for all other animations?
  • Different characters can use different engines, but each character will need to stick to just one.

Though I recommend using transitions, if you needed to stick to Sprites Unity, the other option would be to use the Character: Animate Action to change a character's idle animation. This can also be done through code:

myCharacter.idleAnimSprite = "NewIdleAnimationName";

• I also use Standard Sprites Unity and have seen this question pop up from time to time... I would also love to see a built-in way to specify alternative idles with a random percentage or something like that :)
  • i totally agree. would be nice to have it. :smile: