Forum rules - please read before posting.

Interactive Boundary not working

So how exactly do I use this?

When my character enters the boundary, it the hotspot doesn't show at all. Is there a tutorial?

Also, I was wondering does this still work?

https://adventure-creator.fandom.com/wiki/Life_Is_Strange-style_interactions

I know its been a couple of years but I tried it and it didn't work.

Comments

• When my character enters the boundary, it the hotspot doesn't show at all.

An Interactive Boundary won't automatically select a Hotspot - it's used to prevent a Hotspot from being selectable when the Player is outside it.

See the Manual's "Hotspot detection" chapter for details.

I know its been a couple of years but I tried it and it didn't work.

In what way does it not work? If you're using Interactive Boundaries as above, remove them for the moment. Does your Player have a Hotspot Detector assigned?

• edited September 2021

Does an interactive boundary allow me to detect a hotspot when I'm in the boundary?

Or do I still need to touch the hotspot with the hotspot detector in the boundary?

Like what if i want to just detect the hotspot when im in the boundary with no interactions showing yet. But when i move closer with the hotspot detector then it shows the interactions.

I had the old scripts in my project so one I updated it started working.

Is there a way to reduce the distance of the hotspot detection? My character is detecting too many hotspots at once

• Does an interactive boundary allow me to detect a hotspot when I'm in the boundary?

You're still bound by the conditions of your Settings Manager's "Hotspot detection method" setting. An Interactive Boundary merely prevents detection outside of it - inside it, a Hotspot can be detected as normal.

Or do I still need to touch the hotspot with the hotspot detector in the boundary?

If your "Hotspot detection method" is set to "Player Vicinity", yes.

Like what if i want to just detect the hotspot when im in the boundary with no interactions showing yet.

That's not the purpose of the Interactive Boundary. If you want to highlight a Hotspot as you enter a region close to it, you can use a custom script attached to a Box Collider with "Is Trigger" set. Something like:

using UnityEngine;

public class HotspotSelectRegion : MonoBehaviour
    {

public AC.Hotspot hotspot;

public void OnTriggerEnter ()
        {
            hotspot.Select ();
        }

public void OnTriggerExit ()
        {
            hotspot.Deselect ();
        }

}

Is there a way to reduce the distance of the hotspot detection? My character is detecting too many hotspots at once

You can reduce the size of your Hotspot Detector's collider to decrease its influence.

If you want to rely on a custom detection system, you can set "Hotspot detection method" to "Custom Script". See the Manual's "Custom interaction systems" chapter for details.

• As you see in this screen, its detecting too many of the hotspots even without going close to anything. I reduced the size of the collider as you see in the pic but its still detecting too many.

Im using the life is strange type interactions.

• How many Hotspot labels are you looking to show at once? If just the once, you don't need to rely on the MultiHotspotLabel script.

Otherwise, try this alternative:

https://pasteall.org/Dfov

• I want more than one hotpsot label to show not just one. I just prefer it if it showed when the player was near the hotspot not as far from them as they are in the pic.

• So I had always show during gameplay and thats why it was showing up so its fine now.

However I noticed the hotspot labels show during cutscenes. That's not the way its supposed to work right?

• Which script are you using, and how are the Inspectors configured?

If you're not showing it during gameplay, its display is tied to the Hotspot's Highlight effect. Do your Hotspots have Highlight components assigned?

• I think it was the always show during gameplay thing that was causing it because it isnt happening anymore.

Yeah I have hotspots highlighted.

• I need to know your specifics so that I can recreate the issue - the default wiki script does not cause labels to be displayed during cutscenes on my end, provided that "Always show during gameplay" is unchecked, and a Highlight component is present.

• All my issues have been resolved. I had that Always who during gameplay on. When I turned that option off, everything started working well.