Forum rules - please read before posting.

Inventory - Subtitles when dragging & combining items

edited September 2021 in Technical Q&A

Hello,

It's been a long time since I've touched inventories in AC.

When the player clicks an item with the left mouse button, and then starts to drag it, I want to throw up some text at the bottom of the menu. If the player then drags the item over another, I want to complete the sentence.

Basically, I want some text appearing describing the interaction as it unfolds.

Here's a mock-up of what I want to achieve:

And here are my current inventory settings:

Can AC achieve this, or will it require custom scripting?

Comments

• edited September 2021

You'll need to use scripting, since your mockup effectively has two Hotspot labels - one under the cursor showing the item's name, the other for the "Combine X with Y" sentence.

The "..." in this sentence that only shows when the cursor isn't over another item makes it the best candidate to be handled through script.

Here's a function you can use to generate the mock-up sentence based on the selected inventory:

public string GetCombineSentence ()
    {
        if (AC.KickStarter.runtimeInventory.SelectedItem != null)
        {
            string sentence = "Combine " + AC.KickStarter.runtimeInventory.SelectedItem.GetLabel (0) + " with";
            if (AC.KickStarter.runtimeInventory.hoverItem != null)
            {
                sentence += " " + AC.KickStarter.runtimeInventory.hoverItem.GetLabel (0);
            }
            else
            {
                sentence += "...";
            }
            return sentence;
        }
        return string.Empty;
    }

This'll work for your game's default language, but can be adapted for translations without much hassle.

• AC support at 8am on a Sunday. Chris, you wonderful wonderful person. I do hope you take days off.

• Sorry Chris, I need to get better at scripting. I still trip over how to properly use AC stuff in script, however regarding that script you outlined, VS is saying:

• Oh! Was it just a case of saying if (AC.KickStarter.runtimeInventory.SelectedItem != null)?

• Quite right - I've corrected the above for future reference.

• edited September 2021

Works great. I added an extra check in the script so selected items can't be used with themselves.