Forum rules - please read before posting.

Using parameters to control animations ?

edited August 2021 in Technical Q&A

Hello,
My NPC has a bool parameter for an animation when player interacts with its hotspot. (runs around from node to to node on a path)
The actionlist uses character animate and changes parameter bool to true when triggered after run along path has been stopped.
Animation has "has Exit time" so it completes then whole animation (in this case a full jump) before going to Idle.
Is there a way I can "pause" the actionlist until the full jumping animation has been completed?
I'm using a wait right after the bool parameter action to match the time - and then followed with a bool paramter again to set to false - and then character continues it "path" (running along a path).
However character jumps and before jump anim ends it continues on the that path running.
Need to somehow have the anim played through first instead of using wait time (because sometimes it plays anim once, other times twice)
Any direction would be much appreciated
Best, Dan

Animator controller for NPC:
imgur.com/a/sELtvY9

Comments

• If you supply the Character: Animate Action with a specific animation name, then you have the option of waiting until it's completed playing. When playing animations using parameters, it's not possible to do this because there's a disconnect between what a parameter's value is, and what effect it actually has on the Animator.

Another approach, though, would be to rely on Timeline. With the Engine: Control Timeline Action, you can pause your ActionList until a given Timeline has completed, and you can dictate what the character's animation is while it plays using an Animation track.

• Brilliant! Thank you so much Chris.
    Have a great day!
    Best, Dan