Forum rules - please read before posting.

First Person Pickups - Cannot assign marker

Hi there,

I am using the Object Transform method to pull an object towards my FPP camera.

I have parented a marker to my camera in my FPP prefab for the objects to move to - but when I try to place this marker into the actionlist editor (for the interaction) from my prefab - this is immediately forgotten and missing once I exit inspecting my player prefab. I have added a constant ID to the marker, but this does not resolve the issue. Not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong here. I can assign the marker if the player prefab is already in the scene (which doesn't help).

Using unity 2020 and latest AC version.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @myq.

You're on the right track - a Constant ID component is necessary for assets and scene objects to reference one another.

However, you'll also need to make sure that Retain in prefab? is checked in the Constant ID component. By default, an ID is only generated if the object is in the scene. Once checked, re-assign the Marker in the Action and the connection should be retained.

Also be aware that you don't strictly need to rely on a Player prefab/asset file that gets spawned in at runtime. If you leave your Player in the scene file, this local Player will be used instead of the prefab you've assigned in the Settings Manager. This is often more convenient if you want to work with specific objects/components associated with your Player in your scene logic.