Forum rules - please read before posting.

Laggy animation in final build

Heyo.

When I make a standalone build of my game, 3d character animation such as running or walking is glitchy when the character moves around. This is not a performance issue since the framerate is still high. This problem doesn't exist, however, when simply running the game inside Unity.

Changing the interpolate setting on the rigidbody to interpolate makes a difference in unity, but in the standalone build it's as if I didn't alter that setting. What gives?

I have tried changing the fbx import settings for the mesh to be read write enabled but this did not help either.

Perhaps this is more of a unity problem than AC but I figure I'm probably not the only one here who's run into this, so crossing fingers someone knows what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

t

Comments

• Are you referring to the actual animations being played, or the physical motion of the character - i.e. their transform position?

Are you relying on Root Motion to sync up motion and animation together? This may well be more of a Unity issue, but if you can share some screens of the character's Inspector / Animator it may reveal something.

It'd also be worth trying out the use of a Character Controller component instead of the Rigidbody + Capsule Collider combination.

• edited May 2021

I'm not using root motion.

Looking closer I see it may in fact be related to the transform. My character does not move at an entirely even pace. A little now and then she slows down a little bit and then quickly comes back up to 100% speed. As if she's hitting a small bump in the ground. I can't for the life of me figure out what's causing this. An interesting side note is that she's only moving along the X axis, but in the inspector the Z velocity also changes (!?).

I don't know for sure if this transform lag is what is causing the perceived animation lag. But it's an issue worth looking into in itself, since the changing of speed is picked up by the blend tree and the animation starts blending into the idle pose (however briefly)...

Any thoughts on what can be causing this temporary drop in speed?

I'd be really happy if I didn't have to switch to using a character controller component at this stage...

Thanks.

t

edit: I just wanted to point out that this transform lag appears both in the editor and when I make a standalone build.

• What are your AC and Unity versions?

How your character moves is based on the settings and components you've assigned to them - I will need to see screenshots of your setup before I can know any more.

As it's a visual problem, it'd also be very helpful to see a video or gif of the issue as it occurs, if you can provide one.

So that we can isolate the animation and motion issues, temporarily remove the Animator component - you'll get warning messages, but so long as you're not relying on Root Motion, the character should still move. How much of the problematic motion remains?

I'd be really happy if I didn't have to switch to using a character controller component at this stage...

At the very least, it will benefit the debugging if we know the results of doing so to a duplicate/test character so that we can compare the two.