Forum rules - please read before posting.

Modify pivot that 'Automatic Motion control' uses to turn player's direction in 3D in direct motion.

Hi! I wonder if it's possible to modify the pivot that the automatic motion controls use when turning the direction of the player. I think it's by design that the when player turns it pivots on what would be roughly the left or right leg, randomly, instead of turning while pivoting from the center of the mesh. This causes a few problems when dealing with very narrow levels and it makes the controls feel 'not tight' in general.

I hope I explained it well. Thanks!

Comments

• edited May 2021

I found the answer, on the AC settings tab, under 'movement settings' I checked the "Turn instantly when under player control?" option.

Still, it would be great to have a slight delay when turning but without the offset pivot.

Cheers!

• When AC rotates a character, it only ever does so from the character's root position.

Are you using Root Motion to turn? In that situation, Unity will turn the character automatically - but even then I'm fairly sure it's still about the origin.

This may be a case of things appearing to be offset given your animations or settings. Can you share more about how things look and are set up?

• Hi Chris! My character's origin is centered even in Blender and the walking animation has no root motion, on further inspection I think the problem is that the "Turn before walking" checkbox isn't working. I changed the Turn Speed to 1 and the player starts walking at the same time (while turning) when the option is checked or unchecked.

• The "Turn before walking?" option actually relates to the character's motion before pathfinding, rather than moving due to direct input. Perhaps this should be renamed to "Turn before pathfinding?" to make things more clear.

Whether or not the Player turns gradually when moving under direct control is down to the "Turn instantly when under player control?" option.