Forum rules - please read before posting.

weird behavior with text tokens

I have problems with text tokens and when using From speech text. Expressions work only when used with text and without character tries to speak something. Continue also skips the whole sentence it is supposed to cut and sometimes the sentence comes after conversation dialogue is finished.

Comments

• edited May 2021

"From speech text", as in the Lip-syncing option? What are your AC/Unity versions?

I'll need more details on how to recreate this. Are all the issues you mention only occuring when a speech line has audio? Please share as much information as you can - including screenshots of your settings and sample texts that cause issues.

• Yes, that lip sync. I'm using U2020.3.6.f1 and AC1.73.5.
    Here's pics:
    https://imgur.com/a/UpldImY
    And here video:
    https://mega.nz/file/Ut9E0SIY#wtbuYOIu80jCOniaZy8-9tpCjLSo-LaBEgMPg_GZ1LY

• I also used Dialogue: play speech with Don't animate to show player expressions when playing inner thoughts, but unfortunately with PlayerLine does not have that opton.

• What is the difference in behaviour to the above video when Lipsyncing is disabled?

I also used Dialogue: play speech with Don't animate to show player expressions when playing inner thoughts, but unfortunately with PlayerLine does not have that opton.

The option should show so long as you have your Player assigned in the Settings Manager - is this the case?

• Player prefab was missing...

But Lipsync off changes nothing.

• So is mention of "From Speech Text" not actually a factor?

I believe I've recreated the issue with the [continue] tag not working when speech text does not scroll, but can you re-phrase/elaborate what you mean by this:

Expressions work only when used with text and without character tries to speak something.

• I mean that expressions work mostly ok when used with some text to say in Dialogue: play speech. But they don't seem to follow the position and timing of the sentence where I put them in text ("[expression:smile] Hello there" vs. "Hello there [expression:smile]"). And then if Dont' animate is off character does some speaking animation when there's only a text token and nothing to speak.

• Thank you for the clarification. I've recreated these issues.

• "From Speech Text" doesn't seem to be factor at all.

• Here's a new video:
    https://mega.nz/file/U08kzTqI#8glsfPPiCdps7bNELW8njB38s3SD8TvATr3YJRy7uWA

Some things are fixed, some not. The expression only speech clears the subtitles for a while. Continue token seems to work.

• Please be clear about what issues remain. I'm seeing that the subtitles appears with an empty speech box, but that's about it.

• Open up Speech.cs, and insert the following to the top of the MenuCanShow function around line 917:

if (string.IsNullOrEmpty (FullText))
    {
        return false;
    }

What issues remain after that?

• Now the receptionist answer stays a short while on screen and disappears and comes back later for a short time. Either time is too short to read whole sentence.

• It seems that this continue token clear subtitles.

• edited May 2021

I can see about preventing lines with a [continue] tag from re-appearing, but the length of time that it takes for a line to stop originally displaying is currently dependent on the Text scroll speed setting in the Speech Manager.

If you don't normally scroll speech text, you'll have to enable the Scroll speech text? option, lower the speed value, and then disable scrolling again - this will raise the length of time taken before a [continue] tag is consumed for non-scrolling text.

• I think subtitles get turned off because I change the expressions with speech. When I used the "Do expression" Action I did myself, the problem went away.