Forum rules - please read before posting.

'Keyboard Or Controller' Input method and Menu Interaction.

When using this input mode I can press ESC to activate the menu and navigate between the options with the arrow keys, but I can't seem to select any of those options with ENTER or any other keyboard key... is that the intended behaviour or what key is supposed to select the options?

Thank you.

Comments

• edited April 2021

Okay, so I figured out I had to add InteractionA to the Input Manager, solved. Now I have another issue, on another project where I'm using Unity UI instead of AC's UI I can't seem to navigate the menu options when using the arrow keys or WASD while using the 'keyboard or controller' input method... probably input related too but the weird thing is that I can move the player just fine with WASD and arrows which means that the horizontal and vertical inputs are fine. What inputs should I check for that?

• Welcome to the community, @JohnPeppermint.

The way a menu is navigated directly will differ based on the menu's Source.

If using AC, you can use the Horizontal/Vertical inputs to navigate, and InteractionA to press buttons.

If using Unity UI, which inputs are used for navigating/submitting are based on Unity's EventSystem. By default, these are Horizontal/Vertical to navigate as well, and Submit is used to press buttons.

When using Unity UI, though, navigation cannot occur unless an element is already selected. In your Menu's properties, you should see some options at the bottom related to which element is to be auto-selected when the menu turns on.

It's also possible to use the Menu: Select Action to force the selection of a particular menu element.

There are also some global properties related to when menus can be directly-navigated (such as while the game is paused) at the top of the Menu Manager.

Do be aware, though, that navigating menus directly during regular gameplay must be specifically enabled through use of the Engine: Manage systems Action. This can be included in your Menu's ActionList when turn on asset if necessary.

See the Manual's "Navigating menus directly" for more details on this topic - but if you're still having issues, feel free to share some screenshots via imgur.com and we'll take a look.

• Thanks for the warm welcome! I really need to understand the engine more, I'm set on doing a keyboard + controller game so I'll probably be asking a ton of related questions. Thank you!

• edited May 2021

Quick question, I don't know if I should make a new thread: in the PauseUI settings I checked the "Auto-select first visible element" option and I can now navigate the PauseUI menu using the keyboard but... after entering a menu option like "Save" and then pressing ESC or selecting the "Back" option to go back to the PauseUI menu I can no longer navigate the options using the keyboard keys, the green selection color stays stuck on the last option.

Any tips? Thank you.

• the green selection color stays stuck on the last option

As in, the Pause button's Save button?

You shouldn't get such behaviour - and I can't recreate this with the default interface in the current release? Are you using v1.73.6, is your Save menu also using Unity UI, and have you changed any of the transition settings to/from the Pause menu?

The default Pause menu already has an "ActionList when turn on" asset assigned. It should be that you can add to this ActionList a "Menu: Select" Action to force-select the Pause menu's ResumeButton element - though this shouldn't strictly be necessary.

If you can share some screens of your Menu Manager's global settings, and the properties of your Pause/Save menus, I may be able to spot something amiss.

• Yes, the pause button's save button. I am using 1.73.6 and Unity 2021.1.4f1... I tested it on a new empty project and I can't replicate the behaviour either.

Originally I imported AC into an old project that already had a ton of assets, I noticed that even though I selected the Unity UI in the new game wizard the "Auto-select first visible element" option was not checked in any of the menu properties, and the "actionList when turn on" wasn't assigned either, so some weird things definitely happened, I also didn't import the demos in case it is related (probably not).

Anyway, I decided to reimport the AC asset and delete my game managers in the old project and it is now fixed. I can't replicate the behaviour in the old project now, so it is solved. 😅