Forum rules - please read before posting.

framerate drop that wasn't happening before

Can anyone help with a problem I'm having? I'm suddenly having a huge frame rate drop in only some of my scenes, the profiler reports a massive spike in 'physics' when the drop happens, does this mean anything to anyone? I have no clue :frowning:

Comments

• Also, I think I've narrowed it down to happening when the player and the camera move at the same time, it runs perfectly when he/the camera stops moving, and all the other scenes that are static run perfectly too

• In what AC/Unity versions, and which were the last versions were you using before this occured? Is this occuring in builds as well, or only the Editor?

Try running the Profiler with "Deep Profile" enabled, and in "Hierarchy" view - that should reveal more about the cause.

What type of Camera are you using, and what components are on your Player? Try moving the camera without the Player (set to a different Target and move the Target with Object: Transform), and vice-versa (lock the camera and move the Player). Do either of those still give a framerate drop?

• Thanks for the reply Chris I will check your suggestions out and report back, it's a bit better in a build but still there

• The spikes in the deep profile are the colours of 'physics' and 'garbage collector' both happen when the player and camera move together and it drops to 3 or 4 frames a second! Everything returns to normal when either the character or the camera stop moving. Locking the camera fixes it, it's perfectly smooth and I animated an empty game object to move across the screen and back and made the camera target that, and it was smooth, so I have no idea, I haven't done anything lately that would change anything, only background art nothing to do with cameras or characters, this has brought me to a stand still :( My Cameras are the regular Orthographic Main Camera and the AC game camera. My AC version is old v1.60.4 but my unity is new 2020.2.5f1.

• Actually looking at it again the character can be right in the middle of the cameras movement so that if he walks a few steps left or right the camera moves with him smoothly, so to be more accurate it happens when I click on the navmesh far enough away so that it has to calculate that the camera and the player are going to move at the same time and then when the player gets to that point the frame ate returns to normal. This is killing me, it was all going so well :(

• I fixed it! :D for anyone having a similar problem it was the NavMesh, I replaced it with a simplified one and it works perfectly now.