Forum rules - please read before posting.

Autosave causes lag

Hi,

I've noticed that the autosave causes a noticeable lag in my game. It isn't as noticeable when testing in the editor, but very noticeable in the builds. Sometimes the games stops for 1-2 seconds. Usually it's worse when starting a new game or the first autosave after loading a game and then it gets better but only by a little. The "Take screenshot when saving" option is off. Does anyone have any suggestions as what might be causing this?

I'm on Unity 2018.4.30f1 and AC v1.70.4.

Thanks!

Comments

• You can use Unity's Deep Profile feature to see exactly what's causing it, but it mainly depends on what data there is to save, and how much.

The latest release, however, provides the option to save data in a separate thread - which should allow for better performance particularly when autosaving.

• I found a solution to my particular problem and wanted to share it here. I had a couple of large meshes with the Read/Write Enabled option toggled on that were also in prefabs in the Resources folder. I didn't need that option on so when I toggled it off the lag on my autosaves disappeared! Hopefully this might help someone else :)