Forum rules - please read before posting.

First Person - Restrict camera rotation

edited March 2021 in Technical Q&A

Hello,

I want to restrict how much the player can look around / rotate the camera in certain situations in my game. Does AC provide any feature for limiting a first person camera in that way?

Thanks!

Comments

• Not with GameCamera First Person, no.

You could try a Third Person camera with a very low distance value, but otherwise a custom camera type would be necessary.

To integrate a custom camera type with AC, just attach AC's Basic Camera component and it will be visible to Actions / Scene Manager fields.

• edited March 2021

Damnit Chris I love AC so much. I found this script which seems to do a brilliant job at restricting rotation and it works perfectly with the basic / simple camera setup you outlined above.

• I forgot about that!

• edited March 2021

Does AC have anything for smoothly moving a camera from whatever position it's at to a target position?

Using Camera: Switch is an abrupt snappy transistion. If I'm going to have to use a seperate camera I'll need (as best as possible) to do a smooth transistion between the players original camera position and the new one.

• The Camera: Switch Action has a transition time field - what's the issue when setting a non-zero value?

If need be, you can amend the new camera's initial rotation before switching to it - the wiki script comes with a "Snap Forward On Transition" option.

• As I hit send I just remembered that parameter existed. My bad. It's all good (just been a while since I've dabbled with cameras!)