Forum rules - please read before posting.

Direct control menu using New Input System

Had my menu all setup using the default input but then found out it was a bit too limited to work with multiple controllers so I switched over to the new input system and got it working in AC using: https://adventure-creator.fandom.com/wiki/Input_System_integration

So far so good but for some reason I can't navigate through the menus directly using this. Anyone know if there is some additional setup needed to get the new inputs to read through AC menu manager (prefab is still using Unity UI btw)

Comments

• Are you using a custom EventSystem, or is AC spawning its own? Check that the EventSystem object in your scene at runtime has AC's Optional Mouse Input Module attached.

What also of your Menu's properties? Does it pause the game, and is it directly-navigable when not using Input System?

• I had to use custom EventSystem without the optional mouse input module because having it on would give me this error:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uFr_LqnVCpMYtSowcrjG1qmdrhCgac_w/view?usp=sharing

Menu is set to pause the game. Not sure what you mean by the 2nd question. Like can I navigate the menu when using the old input system? If so then yes for keyboard but didn't work for any gamepad. With the new input neither work.

• If you do without the Optional Mouse Input Module, you'll need a new way to directly-navigate Unity UI menus.

You can try using the Menu: Select Action to force the selection of an element, but without AC's Event System menu selection is no longer handled by AC. Unity's own forums, however, should offer some suggestions on the topic - I'd recommend getting menu behaviour correct with a regular UI-based menu in a fresh scene without the presence of AC's GameEngine.

• Posting my solution in case anyone else runs into a similar issue and finds this thread:

My custom EventSystem (not the default used by AC) needs the input system integration script posted in the OP. This is used for moving the character.
    It also needs the Input System UI Input Module component with an actions asset that is made specifically for the UI controls that you want. This handles all UI Control.

Small note: If you use the new input system you get errors with the Optional Mouse Input Module so that definitely needs to be removed.

With both of these set there actually is no need to use the Menu: Select Action as long as you have the first select object set up in AC's Menu manager for all your menus, which is super nice.

• Thanks for the update, @JaJitsu!

I've updated the wiki page's instructions based on your feedback - would you mind giving it a once over to confirm I got it right?

• No problem!
    Wiki page is looking good, and matches the steps I did to get the UI menus working :)