Forum rules - please read before posting.

Only One Button in Unity UI Save Menu Fails to Play Action Script

Hi, Everybody! I hope you all are having a nice weekend!

So I have a save menu with 3 slots and 1 exit button. The slots and the exit button are all assigned to the corresponding buttons on the menu's linked canvas prefab. The Event System says that all the slots and the button register when clicked. The save slots run their action lists when clicked, but the exit button does not. All their hover sounds seem to restart on each frame for as long as the cursor hovers over them. The save menu is not set to "pause game when enabled" and the all the attached action lists are set to "run in background", so nothing should be paused.

I added a comment to the front of Exit's action list to see if there was a kink in the logic making it fail, but it never gets written to the console.

Exit's audio behavior happens in my load menu, but only when the cursor hovers over a button in the confirmation menu while the main load menu still open beneath it. Load's exit button runs its action list normally as long as the confirmation menu isn't open on top of it, which is good.

There are no menus or objects covering the save menu's exit button when these bugs happen; the Event System confirmed that.

Since I first spotted the bug while testing a Lua script that was supposed to open the save menu from a conversation in Dialogue System for Unity, I assumed it was caused by some interaction between it and Adventure Creator, and went to DS's creator Tony Li in the forums for help. I figured out shortly afterwards that Exit's bug would trigger whether or not a conversation was loading, so I really shouldn't have bothered him about it.

Tony helped me anyway. Isn't he awesome? ^_^

He couldn't fix the issue, but told me he suspected it had something to do with how Adventure Creator handles aspect ratios. The man's a solid-as-all-get developer, so I thought it would be a good idea to share his observations here.

Wow, this sure turned into a book, didn't it?

What should I do next, do you think?

I'm using Adventure Creator 1.72.2 and Unity 2020.1.10f1.

Take care and thank you very much!

Comments

• If all else fails, you can always manually wire up the Exit Button to the ActionList asset by having the Button component trigger the ActionList's "Interact" function. It doesn't strictly need to be set in the AC Menu Manager.

If Tony suspects it's aspect ratio-related, he's likely right, but I don't have enough here to know for sure. Are you enforcing an aspect ratio in your game, such that black bars appear to the side/above your game window?

If you can PM me a .unitypackage file of your game's Managers, UI prefabs and graphics, I can take a look.

• It's good and sent now!

• Perhaps I've imported things the wrong way, but it seems like this just needs to have "Ignore cursor clicks?" unchecked in your save Menu.

• I looked and it was definitely checked. I don't remember that ever happening. I'm so sorry! :# It's been unchecked it and, except for some minor animation problems - Which could easily be errors in my action list layout - everything seems to work. The audio repeats have stopped as well.

Thank you very much for your patience and support.