Forum rules - please read before posting.

Is it possible to play an animation clip on top of a full-screen menu?

Hi all,

Is it possible to play an animation clip on top of a full screen menu? Or would you have to rig it up as a button to get it to display?

I'm trying to have an animation clip of drifting smoke appear on the full screen menu.

Comments

• This is a sprite animation?

You'd have to use Unity UI for your menu, as AC menus are always drawn on top of everything except the mouse cursor.

With Unity UI, though, you can animate the Sprite used by an Image component with a regular Animator. No need to involve AC for that.

• edited January 2021

Thanks Chris! I've recently converted all the AC menus to Unity UI and I am able to have the sprite animation display properly in a scene, I'm just not sure how to make it appear with/over top of the Unity UI menu?

Do I add the animation to canvas/panel UI elements, or is the only way to do it, to have a copy of the animation in each scene and adjust layers/sorting?

It plays behind the Unity UI menu and I can't seem to get it to appear over the Unity UI menu, but as it is a Unity issue, maybe I should be posting this question on the Unity forums.

• Actually this seems to do the trick, unless there is a better way

https://gist.github.com/almirage/e9e4f447190371ee6ce9#file-imageanimation-cs

• Yes, it is a Unity UI issue - AC isn't really involved here.

But as I said, an Animator within your UI itself should be able to animate what sprite is shown in an Image component - no need for a custom script.

• Thanks Chris!