Forum rules - please read before posting.

Adressables and loading/unloading sprites.

edited December 2020 in Engine development

**How hard could be the integration of a feature like the (in terms of front-end) sprite fader-affect children (Like making visible 30 textures in an action),

But based on using adressables to load/unload those textures from vram memory?

Is that possible due to the Constant-ID AC system?**

My noobness has made that my humonguos game has levels(scenes) that load damn 4 or 5 gb of vram of graphics on vram (due to Unity loading all sprites of the level), so I'm searching for a solution.
Bad solution is spliting levels.
Smart solution will be use the new adressables to be able to load/unload those textures/sprites. I'm researching a bit but due to using AC as my main way to make cutscenes work and show graphics and such, has to be compatible too.
Hence my original question.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited December 2020

I'm not clear on exactly what you're looking to do, but it sounds quite specific to your needs.

You shouldn't need to rely on AC for something like this, though.

If you have a custom script that performs what it you're looking to do, you can have AC trigger it from an ActionList using the Object: Send message or Object: Call event Action.

One thing I should mention, though, is that the next AC update will include an option to rely on Addressables for asset references needed by save components, e.g. "Remember Transform". This'll be an alternative to the use of Resources folders to have AC be able to located objects references in save-game files.

• Just a question.

When I open the Adressables package manager asset, it ask me to rebundle legacy asset bundles found on the project (it finds two, doesn't tell me which are them). It says it will eliminate any reference to adressables in scripts.

Can AC have some of those legacy bundles? I'm making a backup... just better asking for sure first.

• Are you paraphrasing? What's the exact message it's giving you?

AC will only rely on Asset Bundles for speech audio - but that's only if you tell it to. If you're not doing so, it shouldn't cause interference on the AC side of things. Still, back up to be safe.

• **Conclusions: **
    None of that "legacy asset bundles" had anything to do with Adventure Creator. (those were from some random 3d assets)

Loading/Unloading the sprites via Adressables doesn't affect anything to adventure creator in my case. (As I don't change sprites via AC)

I just need to find the better/most economic code way to load and unload sprites in bunch, so I'm trying to see what will be better... some Playmaker or some AC custom action. I'm tinkering with it.

Like, Get all Children of this game object, Load/unload all adressable sprites of the children)

Let's see if I know some coding... xD