Forum rules - please read before posting.

Weird Bug - Dialogue Menu won't work unless I resize the window

edited December 2020 in Technical Q&A

Hey, basically just as the title says.
And what makes it weirder, is that the bug doesnt happen for other maps.

I have a subtitle menu, doing some dialogue, but it doesn't show up, yet the game is paused because it's there. If I resize ANY window, it flashes and shows up like usual. I have the v1.70.1 version of AC (I tried to update before but there were too many changes that messed up my custom scripts, tried to fix it several times)

Im using Unity 2018.2.21f1

Anyone have an idea as to why its doing this?

Heres a photo of the menu https://imgur.com/a/oX4SQtj

Comments

• By "maps", you're referring to scenes?

And by "window", you're referring to Unity's windows? Are these windows arranged such that resizing them will affect the size of the Game window?

Does this only occur in the Editor, or builds as well?

I'd recommend upgrading again - even if it's just to confirm that this issue is no longer present. If you do so in a duplicate project, you can remove / comment out your custom scripts so that it at least can compile, and then just test this particular aspect.

If you need help with upgrading your scripts, just post a new thread with details. The "Upgrade notes" sections of the Changelog cover API changes, but the Inventory overhaul in v1.72.0 was particularly large - here's a page that details the main changes.

• Hi Chris,
    Yes I mean scenes and by the widow I mean Unity's windows. Its both in the editor and builds..

I'd love to update again, tried to a week ago even, but I'm the same person that posted they couldn't because it messed up my player spawning scripts (bc of multiplayer) and then ultimately gave up months ago lol
    I've just kind of surrendered to the idea this is the version I have to stick with

• If it's only in the one scene, see if you can find out what it is about the scene that's causing it - though I can't imagine what in particular might cause such behaviour.

Does the same thing occur with the default Subtitles menu? Temporarily set your Menu Manager asset file to Demo_MenuManager - that of the 3D Demo - and see if it occurs with that.

I expect that you'd be able to get around this by switching your Menu's Source to Unity UI.