Forum rules - please read before posting.

Walk animation

Hi,

I am absolutely brand new to unity and any sort of game development. I am in the final year of my computer science degree and have a good understanding of Java and OOP, but 0 experience of unity.

I have bought the AC pack which looks awesome so far, and I am following through a tutorial on youtube. I am looking at unity development more for a bit of fun that a career so I like the fact I dont have to type tonnes of code, I am wanting to make a bit of a fun adventure game for my daughter and my question is, in the imported pack I have all the animations for walking talking etc for the character, if I was to design a new character, how would I go about getting them to walk / talk?

Would it be a case of making the design (2d) for each view, front on side on etc, then how would I go on from that to have a walk animation? I have seen a few vids on doing the full animation yourself which seems to take a while and my brother is an animator and he uses software called maya which takes forever to do a simple 4 second animation!!

Is there a way to reuse the code in AC to animate a new character?

Many thanks

DAnny

Comments

• edited November 2020

Welcome to the community, @dannyjebb.

Certainly - the included animations and characters are just for demonstration. AC can work with whatever character graphics and animation you supply, provided they can be imported into Unity.

AC is not a graphics tool, mind. It'll take control of a character that you define for it, but the animation itself has to be imported or created separately - with Unity's own Animation workflow.

When it comes to animating 2D characters, there's typically two main paths you can take:

1. Use sprite-swapping animation, where each frame is a separate drawing / sprite. This is typically easier to work with, but will only be as smooth as the drawings allow for. This is what AC's 2D Demo characters rely on.
    2. Use skeletal animation, where each body part is animated separately - like a puppet. This is more complex to work with, but can give smoother results since Unity can interpolate between frames.

I'd recommend the first method if you're new to Unity, but AC will work with both. The creation of such animations, however, aren't a part of AC - but a separate step. You can check out Unity's own website, and other sites such as Youtube, for guides and tutorials to creating such animations. Once created, you can combine them to make an AC character as described in this tutorial.

Though, if you're just starting out and want to get up-and-running quickly, I'd recommend just working with a single character sprite and put animation aside for the moment. Your character will still be able to move around the scene, talk, etc - so you can still focus on building your game, adding puzzles and so on. Then, when things are shaping up, you can come back to the animation side of things.