Forum rules - please read before posting.

How to make a scene like this with AC?

edited November 2020 in Engine development

Hi, I was wondering if I could make something along the lines of this with AC:
In the video you can see that the scene has multiple camera cuts, also when dialogue choices are presented on screen. Plus character animations.

I followed all the tutorials on AC but haven't come across as such a complex sequence. I'm not talking about graphics, music or voiceacting. I'm talking pure from a technical standpoint.

I was thinking I could do this best with the timeline. But you can't put the Conversation object in an timeline so you can't put dialogue choices on screen with a timeline.

Perhaps there is a better way to do this? Or maybe it's not possible at all. Would love to hear your opinions.

Comments

• I'd say you can do this, yes. You could trigger a conversation to start within an actionlist that runs from when the scene starts, at whatever point you wish.

• While you can handle camera cuts, character animation, etc, all with Actions - Timeline would certainly be the preferred choice for something that involved.

Timeline can be used to trigger character speech, turn heads, etc. A Conversation can't be activated within Timeline, since the result of choosing an option still requires use of the ActionList system.

However, a Conversation triggered via an Action (or script) can still be displayed while a Timeline is active, provided the running of the Timeline doesn't block gameplay. You could, for example, start a Conversation alongside a "waiting for Player" Timeline, and then replace that Timeline with a "response" Timeline as part of the dialogue option logic.

The 3D Demo uses Timeline for its opening cutscene - this video covers exactly how.