Forum rules - please read before posting.

Mouse Over menu change

edited November 2020 in Technical Q&A

Hi All,

I checked the manual and forums, but apologies if I have missed something.

I'm trying to setup a menu/title screen with PNGs that have transparent backgrounds that change images on hover, like 'New Game' etc.., but the background graphic is still visible during the hover action, as the only options are 'click texture' 'background texture' and highlight texture'

Is this only available with custom coding? I primarily work with AC/Visual scripting, but I can try to learn.

If this is not currently possible, I would like to suggest the addition of an option/checkbox that allows hiding the background graphic in a menu, when highlight graphic is enabled as this would be an extremely useful menu solution in AC and for those with little coding/Unity menu experience.

Another option would be to add a 4th option to the above, something like 'inactive texture' that is auto hidden when 'highlight texture' is visible.

Thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• Through scripting, it's feasible that you could alter the "Background graphic" when hovering over a given element.

But when it comes to styling, using AC for your menu rendering is generally less flexible than Unity UI. Unity UI's Button component allows for more greater control over a button's appearance when hovering on/off it - including the ability to rely on animation clips.

AC's internal menu rendering option (that is, setting the Menu's Source field to Adventure Creator) is best used for rapid prototyping, while Unity UI is recommended for final styling. A guide to converting a Menu to use Unity UI can be found here, as well as in the Manual's "Unity UI menus" chapter.

• Thanks Chris, I’ll take the plunge and figure out the Unity menus as you suggested.