Forum rules - please read before posting.

Can't update AC to the latest version

edited November 2020 in Technical Q&A

I finally decided to update Unity and AC to the latest versions.
Installed clean latest Unity.
Copied my project to the new Unity folder's project and fired it up.

Clicked on Package manager, downloaded latest AC and clicked imported.
When AC tree showed up I could only check/uncheck images like Bird, Brain folder and materials, but none of the essential files like AC scripts etc.

But when I create a new clean project I am able to install AC.
What gives? How to update the latest AC and use in my current project I'm working on?

Btw shouldn't I be able to use my old AC 1.50f in the new version of Unity just by copying my project with my old AC to the new Projects folder? I know it sounds silly ,but I thought I'd ask.
When I do this console gives a bunch of errors:

https://filebin.net/c1ea9obegdqvkqcu/UnityAcErrors01.PNG?t=qs1kzs8i

Comments

• Installed Unity 2019 4.13f1and it seems like it allows AC update.
    But still no luck with Unity 2020.1.11

• edited November 2020

None of the errors in your screenshot mention AC. ForcedReset and SimpleActivatorMenu are both inside the StandardAssets subfolder.

But v1.50f is not compatible with the latest Unity release - you need to use the latest version in order to import it into Unity 2020.

I don't know why you're having an issue importing it, but it sounds like it could be an issue with Package Manager. You can, however, manually copy the AdventureCreator folder from your 2019.4 project into your 2020.1 project.

You'll also need to pay careful attention to the "Upgrade notes" section of the Changelog file for all the releases between v1.50f and v1.72.3 - they'll detail all of the changes made to AC that may affect your project.

• Sorry I was too fast about how I "Installed Unity 2019 4.13f1and it seems like it allows AC update." in my last post it was very late in the night and when I saw that I was able to check/uncheck AC in the import I quickly I assumed I was able to update it and went to sleep with out actually performing update . But as I said I was able to check/uncheck files
    But when I woke up I tried to update AC checked all stuff scripts and images import and the same happened as with 2020.1.11
    No AC, no tab no AC window and game objects with AC components all say

The associated script can not be loaded.
    Please fix any compiler errors and assign a valid script.

Moreover now in 2019.4 project when I go to package manager and try to import AC I cannot check/uncheck any AC files. Though was able before.

My guess is It looks like AC is installed and updated, but won't launch or smth wrong.

How do I go about this? How to update AC from v1.50f to v1.72.3
    Meanwhile gonna fire up old Unity 524f1 and try to update AC there and then move my project to 2020.1, and see what happens.

Thank you Chris

• edited November 2020

Can't update AC from v1.50f to v1.72.3 on my project with UNity 5. 2.4f1 or install AC 1.72.3 on a new clean project. As soon as it ends installing/updating it crashes Unity. with a Unity report window.

Going to install Unity 2018 and try there now...

• Can't update AC from v1.50f to 1.72.3 on my project with Unity 2018 too.
    But can install AC with a new clean project.

Can't update AC from v1.50f to 1.72.3 or install AC with a clean new project with Unity Unity5_6_7f1
    it gives these errors
    https://filebin.net/n842sq0c2wbm1q7z/ErrorsUnity5_6_7f1.PNG?t=ktrqhrgu
    https://filebin.net/qmrhq15t5sguz058/ErrorsUnity5_6_7f1_02.PNG?t=88568rx2
    https://filebin.net/exdinkf6oz85kk95/ErrorsUnity5_6_7f1_03.PNG?t=84jfuvv6

So basically I can't update AC from v1.50f to 1.72.3 in any version of Unity( gave up on installing 2017 unity version)
    And can't even install on Unity5_6_7f1 and 524f1.

Chris can you give me an old AC version like 1.60 and 1.65 so I could migrate smoothly from v1.50f to 1.72.3

I'll pm you my invoice.

• Sent.

The latest AC's minimum compatible Unity version is 2017.4, but you should be able to import your older project / AC version into Unity 2020, then overwrite it with the latest release from a separate project (see my earlier post) while you still have error messages.

• I think I found what the problem is.

It looks like until you fix all the errors on that first picture in my first post
    https://filebin.net/c1ea9obegdqvkqcu/UnityAcErrors01.PNG?t=nheym688
    AC or Unity doesn't continue full update and add AC tab and other AC stuff to my project.

As soon as I fixed all errors (some custom scripts using AC I just removed) a pop up appeared and asked to allow to create AC menu editor or something. I clicked yes and AC appeared.
    Weird

• If red errors are reported in the Console window, Unity will not compile any custom editor windows - this'll include AC, but also any other assets you may have installed.

• I see , thank you Chris.