Forum rules - please read before posting.

How to make a "detective mode" like Batman Telltale

edited October 2020 in Technical Q&A

I'm currently working on a 2d investigation game. And I would like to create a puzzle solving system similar to the detective mode of telltale's batman games.
Like this: https://youtu.be/Nlyx8wwCQjc?t=175

The idea is that when I press a key / button I switch to detective mode and I can then associate the elements together

Do you have any idea how and where I can start?

++

Comments

• Functionally speaking, it looks to play out similar to regular inventory item usage. If you had an inventory item to associate with each Hotspot, then clicking a Hotspot could select that item, for use on another Hotspot.

With the example video, you've got a "Blast Epicenter" Hotspot being linked to "Canister fragment" Hotspot. So you could make e.g. a "Blast Epicenter" Inventory item that gets selected when clicking the Hotspot (with the Inventory: Select Action) - allowing you to then link it to "Canister fragment" Hotspot with an Inventory interaction.

The rest of it is mostly window-dressing, I'd say. Custom events, such as OnInventorySelect and OnHotspotSelect can be hooked into to display additional information taken from a component, but I'd recommend just focusing on getting the right click behaviour first.

To toggle a "mode" on and off at the press of a button, you can define an Active Input that toggles a Global Boolean true and false. That would (eventually) also do things like change the camera effects, but for now you probably just want to check that in your Hotspot interactions to work out what their behaviour should be when clicked.

• Thank you for your quick reply. I will watch according to your remarks what I manage to do.

And yes, the idea is to associate an additional camera effect but this will be done later

• No problem. For more on custom events, see this tutorial as well as the Manual's "Custom events" chapter.