Forum rules - please read before posting.

Timeline Head Turn Track

Hi Chris,
i wanted to try the head turn track but I seemingly can't get it to work. I'm using a custom motion controller and also Final IK so I'm listening to the OnSetHeadTurnTarget and OnClearHeadTurnTarget events to turn the head of my character. As far as I understood the timeline track doesn't call these events right? This would be a great addition (OnSetTimlineHeadTurnOverride etc.). Furthermore, I'm instancing my timelines in runtime, and the timeline clips in the head turn track don't seem to work with the constant ID system, is that correct? This would be another great addition as it would make it possible to get the reference to the targets in runtime (and also reuse the same timelines in different scenes). While the Control Timeline makes it possible to set the references to the tracks, as far as I know, there is no way to set the references to the clips currently.

Comments

• the timeline track doesn't call these events right?

Not currently, but it's a good suggestion - I will see if this is possible to implement.

the head turn track don't seem to work with the constant ID system, is that correct?

Are you referring to the character it affects, or the target to turn their head towards?

The character is assigned via binding to the track itself, while the target is set via exposed reference - this is a public field you should be able to update at runtime from within the HeadTurnShot class.

• Thanks, yes I'm referring to the target. Would it technically be possible to implement the constant ID system for that? Otherwise it would involve quite a lot of custom scripting.

• Likely not officially, since you'd need to replace the ExposedTransform with a Transform, and then use a custom Editor to auto-set the ID value.

If you're spawning the Timeline from a prefab, however, an alternative may to keep the targets as children of the Timeline (so that links are retained), and then parent them to the "real" objects you want to target.

• Ok thanks for your suggestions, I will look into it.