Forum rules - please read before posting.

Character Walks in place in my PnC game

Hi Everyone!

I'm so sorry if this has been posted. I've googled and googled, and searched and searched, but I haven't found an answer which solves the problem.

I'm making a point and click adventure game. I'm using the most recent version of AC (that I know, I downloaded it last week from the Asset store). And I'm using Unity 2020.1 in a 3D project.

Because I couldn't really find a set up tutorial for a 3d PnC game, I followed Chris' "Recreating Unity's adventure game."

This, I think, creates a unique problem, because I'm trying to use my own assets which have no backend unity development in the framework of the Unity game. "No matter!" I said, and tried to make them match. Unsurprisingly, something isn't working. When I run the game, the character animates when I PnC somewhere in the scene, but does not move there. So then I thought, "okay, well I've seen on various forums that if you switch the Navigation from Unity to Meshes, it can solve the problem." But...it doesn't. In fact, it makes it so the character doesn't move at all.

For other, perhaps extraneous information, I've tried to drop my player character prefab in the demo scene included with Adventure Creator, but he actually doesn't even show up. It's just a hollow character controller collider.

To give you a sense of what is happening, please see the attached video. I think it captures the scope of the problem.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Comments

• edited September 2020

Welcome to the community, @Cathardigan.

The setup looks fine - but I notice that you have Apply Root Motion checked in your Animator, which may be the problem.

When this is checked, AC expects that the character's movement animations will physically do so using root motion - so AC itself will only update Animator parameters, and not do any actual movement itself.

You'll need to either make sure that your walk/run animations actually make use of root motion, or uncheck this box to have AC physically move the character as well as animate them.

On the topic of pathfinding, do be aware that NavMeshSegments aren't strictly necessary - so long as you've baked your NavMesh, and the floor collider is on the "NavMesh" layer, then you can make use of point-and-click in 3D. A tutorial on this can be found here.

• Oh thank you so much! That was it. It's funny because I had been searching for how to disable root animation based on another post response you made, but I kept looking in the animator panel rather than the inspector window.

I also just have to say: thank you so much for making AC, Chris. I'm not a coder. I'm trying to learn, but I'm a writer by heart, and game development always seemed like something that was just out of my reach, but AC really changed my whole perspective.

Anyway, thank you so much for the response. Now I can move on to making the animations look a little less awkward! haha

Best,

Dylan

• Happy to help, best of luck!