Forum rules - please read before posting.

Calling the PlayFootstep() function called in animations other than walk & run

Hi. I implemented the footstep sound with the Footstep Sounds component, and the walk and run animations play that very well. But I also have other custom animations that need to play the footstep sound, however when I try to call PlayFootstep() in animations other than the walk and run animations, the footstep sound don't seem to play. Is it by design? Is there a way to work around it?

I am using Unity2019.4.6f1 with AC1.71.8.

Comments

• Yes, by design the character needs to be considered moving by AC for it to work.

I shall look into making this optional - or provide an alternative function that skips this check.

However, if you move the component to a child object - i.e. not on the same object as the Player/NPC component - it will also bypass this check if you don't assign the Character field in its Inspector.

• edited September 2020

I see. As there are plenty of characters and animations I need to change, I would prefer to look forward to the next AC update. At the mean time, can I easily change 1 or 2 lines of code to bypass the check?

• Open FootstepSounds.cs and replace:

if (audioSource != null && footstepSounds.Length > 0 &&
    (character == null || character.charState == CharState.Move))

with:

if (audioSource != null && footstepSounds.Length > 0)

• Got it! Thanks.