Forum rules - please read before posting.

Trigger default hotspot interaction with 9 verb template

edited August 2020 in Technical Q&A

Hi! I am using AC 1.71.8 and am using the 9 verb template. I got it to run the default interaction when clicking an inventory item, but I can't get the same behaviour when clicking on a hotspot. It just defaults to a normal walk to interaction (it walks to the mouse click, not to the actual hotspot's walkto marker).
If I understand correctly, I should be able to click on a hotspot, and then trigger the default interaction, given that 1) the interaction is the hotspot's first use interaction; 2) I have checked Set first 'use' interaction as default in the settings manager.
Also: when I hover over an inventory item, it highlights the correct default verb (look at) and displays the correct label "look at (item)", but when I hover over a hotspot, it highlights the correct default verb (look at), but displays the label for walk "walk to (hotspot)".
Is this correct or am I missing something? Any ideas what could be wrong?
Also, I already have the additional scripts prefab in my scene. Tried with and without it.
Everything else is working fine.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I tried both left and right click and it was the same.

Comments

• Try mapping "DefaultInteraction" to a keyboard key - does it work then?

Let's see your Settings Manager, and the Hotspot's Inspector.

• Try mapping "DefaultInteraction" to a keyboard key - does it work then?

Yes.

Let's see your Settings Manager, and the Hotspot's Inspector.

Here.

• edited August 2020

Should I map DefaultInteraction to left click?

EDIT: Just did, I see why not :D

• Should I map DefaultInteraction to left click?

You should be able to - DefaultInteraction takes precedence over regular clicks.

I can't see any issue with the same settings and mappings in the included 2D demo scene variant - try opening that up and clicking on the tyre swing. For me, it runs the "Look" interaction.

• edited August 2020

You should be able to - DefaultInteraction takes precedence over regular clicks.

Yes, I was able to! Sorry I didn't clarify, but the problem with that was that it overrides all other interactions, including unhandled ones. Will try the demo.

• edited August 2020

I just tried the demo with the nine verb template all set up and it was the same thing. The tyre swing has a default use and a look at interaction. If I click on the hotspot, I get the default use interaction, which is fine, but if I go ahead and click on "look at tyre swing", it will just default to use. Same situation with the bench. If I remember correctly, in a 9 verb system, I will only trigger a default interaction if I just click (or right click) on a hotspot, but I will also be able to trigger other interactions when combining a verb with a hotspot. Just as a reminder, this works as intended in the inventory (without adding a DefaultInteraction button in the project's inputs, which defaults to the first interaction in all cases). I have also tried mapping DefaultInteraction to mouse 1 instead of 0, but I get no response from right clicks. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

• the problem with that was that it overrides all other interactions, including unhandled ones.

That as intended. Invoking this input should always run the default interaction.

I have also tried mapping DefaultInteraction to mouse 1 instead of 0, but I get no response from right clicks.

That would be my suggestion, and again this works for me. Setting to "mouse 1" leaves regular behaviour for the left mouse, and right mouse then runs the default interaction.

Are you getting no response even when you've no icon/item selected?

• edited August 2020

I realized when I fiddled with the settings the last time I had turned off set first use interaction as default. Turned it back on and now I can left click to the default interaction. So everything is working as it should.

I think I had a mix up, since in inventory you can actually left click an item to run its default interaction or make a sentence via verb menu, all with the same left button. But you're right, I went back to Monkey Island 2 and it was the same way there: left click runs default interaction only in inventory, but in the scene you need to right click to get the default int. since clicking on hotspot without a verb first always defaults to walk to.

• Turned it back on and now I can left click to the default interaction.

I meant right click.