Forum rules - please read before posting.

carousel/wrap from first to last menu element when shifting

Is there currently a way to make offset element slot buttons wrap around? So for example if I have three dialog options, 1,2 & 3, shifting to next on 3 takes it to 1?

Comments

• Are you only displaying one at a time?

It should just take a simple custom script, but it may need a tweak to AC itself to make it possible. I'll look into it.

• edited July 2020

Thanks Chris!

Edit: Yes, I am displaying just one option at a time; where the triangular brackets are UI buttons it looks like:

< Ask about X? >

So in the example above I'd like the left shift to take you to Ask about Z? and the right to Ask about Y?

• Got it. I'll investigate.

• This'll take a bit of work behind the scenes to fix an issue before it can be done. The following script will do it, but only once the update is out:

using UnityEngine;
    using AC;

public class CycleConversation : MonoBehaviour
    {

private void OnEnable () { EventManager.OnMenuElementClick += OnMenuElementClick; }

private void OnDisable () { EventManager.OnMenuElementClick -= OnMenuElementClick; }

private void OnMenuElementClick (Menu menu, MenuElement menuElement, int slot, int buttonPressed)
        {
            if (menu.title == "Conversation")
            {
                MenuDialogList dialogList = menu.GetElementWithName ("DialogueList") as MenuDialogList;
                int offset = dialogList.GetOffset ();

if (menuElement.title == "ShiftDown")
                {
                    offset ++;

if (offset >= KickStarter.playerInput.activeConversation.GetNumEnabledOptions ())
                    {
                        offset = 0;
                    }

dialogList.SetOffset (offset);
                    menu.Recalculate ();
                }
                else if (menuElement.title == "ShiftUp")
                {
                    offset --;

if (offset < 0)
                    {
                        offset = KickStarter.playerInput.activeConversation.GetNumEnabledOptions () - 1;
                    }

dialogList.SetOffset (offset);
                    menu.Recalculate();
                }
            }
        }

}

• Great - eyes peeled for the update, thanks as always for your incredible support.

• Hi Chris - I've added this script to my conversation menu, and I'm having no luck getting it to work - I've tinkered with it a bit, but to no avail.

The menu I'm using has two buttons, named Left (click type: offset element slot, offset type: Shift Previous) and Right (click type: offset element slot, offset type: Shift Next) and I have a feeling I need to replace these names in the script where it shows "ShiftDown" and "ShiftUp", but my stabs in the dark haven't born fruit, to mix metaphors.

• Yes, you'd need the names in the script to match with the element names in the Menu Manager.

But set both their "Click types" to Custom Script - the script handles the click behaviour.

Try also reverting your Menu's Source to Adventure Creator - Unity UI adds another layer of complexity, so it's best to check things work with AC alone before incorporating it.

• Click type to custom script was the stumbling block - thanks Chris, this works great with Unity UI.