Forum rules - please read before posting.

Newbie Question - Adding custom Action & Variables

edited July 2020 in Technical Q&A

I been playing around with adventure creator but I am a bit lost when it comes to variables and custom actions. I created a global variable from the AC game editor then created a custom action but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly. Just as a basic testing scenario I made an action to add 1 to the current money.

From the image, have I done it the right way in terms of using the action template correctly and making variables correctly?
https://imgur.com/N5K6ZzQ

Also how do you add variables for other npcs, the same way? or is there a different option for npcs?

Comments

• Just wanna add that if I wanted to do the above example with parameters, how can I do that? so that I can just enter whatever value I want to add money.

• Welcome to the community, @Shadowz.

The code'll work, but you needn't declare "currentMoney" as a class variable because you're only using it in the one function.

It's also possible to get a reference to a Variable by name, as well as ID. An equivalent Run() function could be:

public override float Run ()
    {
        AC.GlobalVariables.GetVariable ("Money").IntegerValue += 1;
        return 0f;
    }

But also: this operation can be done using the Variable: Set Action. Unless this is more of an exercise in learning AC's scripting side, do know that you can increase an Integer variable's value by a set amount using this Action.

Also how do you add variables for other npcs, the same way? or is there a different option for npcs?

You can attach a "Variables" component to a GameObject, which will then allow you to create variables as part of that object. They can be set/read using AC's Variables Actions as well - just set the Source field to Component.

• oh thank you

• edited July 2020

Sorry to add another question here, but I thought instead of creating another forum I could just ask here since its relating my previous question.

I added the variables component to the npc, and now I wanna access or set that variable, how can I do that? All npcs will have different amount of money so how can I retrieve a variable from a specific NPC. How is each NPC identified?

• You don't need to reference an NPC itself - just the Variables component that's attached to it.

For example, to update a variable attached to an NPC, create a Variable: Set Action, set the Source to Component, and then assign or drag/drop the Variables component you want to affect. You can then choose which variable in that component you want to update.