Forum rules - please read before posting.

Run an action triggered by a document's "Close" button

Hi everyone,

Two weeks into learning AC, doing my best to make my first 2D game now.
I'm amazed at how much AC simplifies the task for non-coders and how well documented it is, but here's something I need a little help with, please.

I have a scroll in my inventory, which when right-clicked to examine, opens a document. So far so good. Now, I would like to be able to run an action, in this case a Play speech one, triggered when the document's "Close" button is clicked. I hope there is a simple and customisable way to do this as I plan to have several documents in the game.

Many thanks for any suggestions/solutions.

Comments

• You can change your Close button's Click type property to Run Action List, and then assign an ActionList that uses a Menu: Change state Action to turn the menu off. This way, you can also incorporate other Actions (e.g. Dialogue: Play speech) to also run at this time.

Presumably, you'll want to have different responses based on the Document that's being closed. You can do this with Variables.

Create a new Global Variable of the type "Pop Up". Set the first value to "Do Nothing", and then give other values for each Document that you want to give a unique response for.

Then, as part of the inventory item's Examine ActionList, use a Variable: Set Action to set this variable to an appropriate value.

Going back to the ActionList that runs when the Close button is clicked, add a Variable: Pop Up switch Action to reroute the ActionList to run different Actions based on the value of this PopUp variable.

• Thank you very much for the prompt, clear and detailed reply, @ChrisIceBox! It works like a charm. I now have three separate documents, each with a different comment on close. Loving it! :smiley: