Forum rules - please read before posting.

Menu specific input

Hello there,
I was wondering if there is a possibility to have a specific input for the Menu navigation.
Let me explain:

Currently, if I didn't miss anything, the menu navigation is done with Horizontal/Vertical inputs.
What I'd like is to have MenuVertical/MenuHorizontal

Why? you'd ask
Generally the most convenient way to navigate a menu with a controller is to use the d-pad, it's just more natural

So you'd tell me to create a new Horizontal/Vertical input that use the d-pad axis and be done with it.
Yes and no..

The thing is I'd like to use the d-pad for something else in the game. If I'd do that, then the character would move the left analog stick and with the d-pad.

Maybe there is a way around it and I didn't think about it. So I'm open to the discussion :)

Comments

• Are your Menu Source fields set to Unity UI Prefab or Adventure Creator?

If Unity UI:
    1. Add an empty GameObject and attach AC's Optional Mouse Input Module
    2. Set the Horizontal Axis and Vertical Axis fields as desired
    3. Make the GameObject a prefab, and assign that prefab in the Menu Manager's Event system prefab field

If AC:
    1. Select your Menu Manager's asset file and view its raw Inspector (not in the AC Game Editor window)
    2. Near the bottom, set the Horizontal Input Axis and Vertical Input Axis fields as desired

• Thank you, that works fine
    Is there any downside to this?
    I'm planning on integrating Rewired following the tutorial on the wiki - will this be recognized like any other AC input?

• I'm using Unity UI by the way
    So I thought it would be difficult to setup Rewired for AC, but it works well for all AC default input
    Sadly it doesn't work for the custom AC "Optional Mouse Input Module"
    Rewired has its own Event system, but of course it doesn't work to navigate AC Menus, I guess it's an input manager problem somewhere

I know you are not here to support Rewired, but if by any chance you are the one who created the integration in the first place, would you have a clue on how to handle the UI navigation with it?

• The Rewired integration on the wiki doesn't really cover the same area as the Event System.

When using a Unity UI based menu, AC will leave it up to the EventSystem to handle all UI selection/handling duties. AC's "Optional Mouse Input Module" primarily just syncs things up with the AC options to only direct-control vs mouse-control a menu. It's not relying on AC's input system in the same way that the Rewired integration script does.

Still, Rewired's Event System should still have Inspector fields to set the navigation axes, no?

• Damn... I'm sorry, that's what I get when I do things without being careful.
    I have two projects in parallel, one is the main one, rightly configured. The other is the sandbox/prototype where I test things before sending them over to the main project.
    I just noticed that my prototype was set on AC Menu instead of Unity UI (because I switched over to the Invector AC integration demo project)

So yes it works totally fine with the Rewired event system/Standalone Input manager now that I've switched the UI prefabs to Unity UI

thanks a lot for your help