Forum rules - please read before posting.

Random Game Freezes on Nintendo Switch

Hi!

We have released a Switch version of our game recently, and we have users reporting the game freezing when loading a scene. It appears to be happening at random, and we can't quite nail what could be causing this.

Most of our reports say the game's freezing, but sometimes it eventually loads after 3-4 minutes, but during the "frozen time" the dev kit is not even outputting any logs (usually the Switch will ping an FPS/memory count to the log every 5 seconds).

We think this might be something to do with Unity/other problems and not with Adventure Creator, but I thought I would ask here, just in case if anyone came across this.

Thanks!

Comments

• Is this upon switching to a scene for the first time, or re-entering a previously-visited scene?

AC doesn't officially support Switch, though I'm not aware of such an issue specifically.

• This mostly happens when re-entering the scene.

Yeah, thanks for getting back to us anyway! I'm sure we will figure it out eventually!

• When re-entering a scene, AC will restore data saved for that scene from the last time. For example, applying Remember component data.

What are your AC/Unity versions, and does the issue occur when re-entering any scene, or specific ones?

If it is related to the save system, do check out the "Performance and optimisation" chapter of the Manual, which covers a number of ways to boost load times.

• I haven't experienced this myself, but have you tried profiling and seeing if that turns up something? On the Official Switch dev forum you can probably get more insight if you can reproduce it and send it to one of the mods there.