Forum rules - please read before posting.

Possible bug: combining items not working in mobile build

I think I've found a bug. I am working with AC 1.71.5 and Unity 2019.4.0f1. Interaction mode: choose hotspot then interaction, building for mobile and using touch screen as the input method.
This is going to be a little long, I want to provide a good explanation of all the troubleshooting I already did, maybe it can help.
I went back to a project that I that I had on hold and decided to update both AC and Unity. Everything worked fine, but one of the things you had assisted me with stopped working: combining items won't work in mobile builds. It does work on the editor, but not when you actually build and play on the device. You had actually fixed that for me with a custom input module in the event system, though it undid a very minor issue I had with a menu, you gave me a few more scripts but I couldn't fix it, and then I left it at that, because that second issue wasn't a crucial obstacle in my game.

But now that I've updated AC and editor, the solution for the "big" issue is not working anymore, the items are not combining.

I wanted to make sure it wasn't an issue with my project in particular, so I went ahead and created an empty project from scratch, imported AC and created just 2 items and a combine interaction. It was the same behaviour: combining worked in the editor but not on mobile. I tried both default event system, and AC's optional input system (which is the first one you 'unofficially' gave to me), as well as the 2 latter scripts. Here are the results:

1. Using default Event System (none assigned):
    -It works correctly in editor.
    -In mobile builds, only hotspot interactions work. When combining, it does not respond, unless you release your finger really fast after a few tries.
  2. Using Event system with AC's Optional Mouse Input Module script:
    -It works correctly on mobile build, but NOT in Unity editor.
    -In editor, it responds to first click and opens interaction menu
    -It does not respond to second click for interaction nor does it combine items.
  3. Using Event system with your CustomTouchInputModule script:
    -In editor, same behaviour as (2), it doesn't trigger interactions.
    -In mobile build, same behaviour as 1, it doesn't combine items.
  4. Using Event system with your second CustomTouchInputModule script:
    -It works correctly in editor
    -In mobile build, same behaviour as 1, it doesn't combine items.

A secondary issue in regards to this is that, while attempting this in this new project from scratch does leave me the option of working on the game with the default event system and only change it for mobile builds, when I go to my actual game, item combination still doesn't work (I am using multiple interactions on items, "use" selects it and then I can combine, it used to work, but not now). Dragging doesn't make a difference.
Simplifying the interface is not an option in this case. As the game design in this project is informed by educational goals, I can't lose the choose hotspot then interaction mechanics, both on hotspots and items, since it's the basis of the game. So for now, I will try going back to my backed up copy with a previous version of AC on a previous version of Unity.

Let me know if you need more info and if you can reproduce it as well.

Comments

• (Just to confirm I went back to my backup with previous versions of Unity 2019.1.9f1 and AC 1.70.4 and everything is working fine now, tomorrow I will see if it still works updating AC but not Unity)

• edited June 2020

There are too many unique settings and properties at work here. I'll need you to send me this fresh project along with clear instructions on how to recreate the issue(s).

To keep filesizes down, please also remove any demo assets that aren't used by your sample scene. PM it to me as a .zip file, and I'll take a look.