Forum rules - please read before posting.

Character not Animating or Moving along Path

I try to let my character move along a path but I only get it evne follow the path when I disable "Apply Root Motion" but that has two problems, first the animator doesn't seem to get any speed, neither from the AC NPC Script nor when I tried to do it with my own implementation of an Animator Script.
The Second problem is that the feet slider crazily over the floor when root motion is not applied. It doesn't look good at all. When I have root motion activated the animation part it seems to be working fine but the character does not move.

So I need to have the NPC move along a path while root motion is applied.

Comments

• When your Animator uses root motion, AC won't physically move the character - as it expects the animation to control position.

Instead, it will only control the "Move speed float" parameter - in your case "Moving" - which needs to be set up to cause an Idle -> Walk transition in your character's animator, where the Walk animation uses root motion.

For smoother motion when starting/stopping, it's recommended to use a Blend Tree to handle this Idle/Walk transition, rather than to place these two clips in separate states and transition between them.

If you have Root Motion enabled, and the character is animating but not moving, check the animation import settings of the walk animation clip itself. That will need to be set up to handle root motion.

You also have your "Motion control" set to "Manual" - try setting it to "Automatic", at least until this issue is resolved.

• I just noticed that they are just technical badly animated, because the root shouldn't move for those kinds of movements, at least not in a gaming enviroment. But that is not my problem since I just use what I get to work with.

So now I just get rid of the root motion since it is pretty stupid to have it one.

I also tested now some more, and just noticed that I must have set some parameter wrongly. I really hate that this "has exit time" is set by default even trough 95% of the time you really don't wanna use it.

But thanks Chris, I love how quickly you reply.

• I really hate that this "has exit time" is set by default even trough 95% of the time you really don't wanna use it.

Too true!