Forum rules - please read before posting.

Action List Assets and Hotspot

Is there a reason Hotspot Examine Interactions cannot use Action List assets? I have many identical objects in my game, and for their Hotspot's Examine Interaction I was planning on using an Action List asset to display narration text, so that I didn't have to re-write it for every one of the objects individually.

Comments

• There's no such restriction - any Hotspot button can run an asset file, just set the Hotspot's Interaction source to Asset File.

• That's right, but the problem is that I want the hotspot's use interaction to be In Scene, but the examine interaction to be Asset File. I think the only way around is to either write the descriptions for every hotspot, or use a menu.

• The field is per-Hotspot, but you can hook into the OnHotspotInteract custom event to fire off an ActionList asset when one from a list of Hotspots is examine:

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using AC;

public class RunAssetOnExamine : MonoBehaviour
    {

public List<Hotspot> hotspots;
        public ActionListAsset examineAsset;

private void OnEnable () { EventManager.OnHotspotInteract += OnHotspotInteract; }

private void OnDisable () { EventManager.OnHotspotInteract -= OnHotspotInteract; }

private void OnHotspotInteract (Hotspot hotspot, AC.Button button)
        {
            if (hotspots.Contains (hotspot) && hotspot.lookButton == button)
            {
                examineAsset.Interact ();
            }
        }

}

• Thank you. What I did (before I saw this reply) was just have the examine interaction have a single action: call an action list asset to do the same thing (show narration text). This also avoids having to write the text again.