Forum rules - please read before posting.

Character control tutorial

edited May 2020 in Technical Q&A

Hi,
I really need a tutorial that cover every aspect of the characters. Now some things work, other not really. For example using a girl as a character (from 2.5D game tutorial) works, but If I use the Guy it is not moving! When I try to use Mixamo character, with animations from there it moves very, very slow in T-pose, and no animation, or do nothing at all. When I use the girl as an NPS, it refuses to go to marker, although that it goes, if I use it as a player. I find out about the Path, in searching for an alternative to the marker, in Manual, is pointed that Path is added from Scene->Navigation, but that is no path, it is some point with 0 in the center. I have no way to add path points, or nodes except Node commands source, that expect something to be be given to it. I can not find any explanation no how to add points.

Comments

• edited May 2020

I have manage to get the NPC moving, by using Markes, now it runs apparently for no reason. In the action list Move speed is set to walk.

• edited June 2020

The "Paths" logic type in the Scene Manager is for when you want a character to move in a pre-determined way - i.e. from A to C via B.

For dynamic pathfinding, you don't need to create Paths - just place down a Marker and use the Character: Move to point Action. Provided the NavMesh has been set up, they should move. If you get an issue, you can check their intended path by looking for the blue line that appears underneath them when selecting them in the Scene view.

When it come to 3D characters, a key factor to be aware of is whether they rely on root motion or not.

If Apply Root Motion is checked in the Animator, then their motion will assumed to be handled through animation. AC won't physically move the character, but will instead manipulate the "Move speed float" parameter defined in their Inspector, allowing their walk/run animation to be played - which in turn will cause them to move.

If Apply Root Motion is unchecked, then AC will physically move the character according to the "Walk speed scale" / "Run speed scale" values set. In this mode, there is a disconnect between the character's motion and animation - the motion will be automatic, and what animation they play is determined by your Animator.

If the character is playing their Run animation when they should be walking, check the value of their Speed parameter at this time. The Animator's transitions or Blend Tree should be set up so that this value triggers the Walk animation.

A tutorial on this topic can be found here, and also in video-form here. Feel free to post more screens if you still have problems though, and I can try to see what the issue might be.

• Thank you.