Forum rules - please read before posting.

3D Tutorial ActionList Editor - Rank beginner hit a snag

I'm enjoying this tutorial very much. I'm a rank beginner (in Unity as well as in Adventure Creator). Up till now, I've found that when something didn't work, re-watching the section in question revealed the detail I'd missed.

But in Hotspots and Interactions, I've hit a snag with the ActionList Editor. With the "Use" choice, El_TinPot walks to his mark outside the elevator, the camera view switches and the doors swing open, but he will not walk through. Everything on my "(2) Character:Move to Point" node looks exactly like it does in the tutorial.

What are some things I should check to find out what's wrong?

I've verified that the lift floor has baked navmesh, the marker inside the elevator is positioned properly, and El_TinPot can walk during gameplay. It seems as if he can't move through the hotspot.

Comments

• edited May 2020

Welcome to the community, @MultiplePOV. What are your AC and Unity versions?

It seems as if he can't move through the hotspot.

This would be true if the Hotspot Collider's Is Trigger property is unchecked, as this would cause it to be a "physical" object that objects can collide with. Is this the case with the Hotspot - or perhaps some other Collider in the way?

Otherwise, check the state of the Interaction when this occurs - has it ended, or is the Character: Move to point Action continuing to run? You can find out by viewing it in the ActionList Editor at runtime - any Action currently running will be highlighted blue.

One other thing you can do is check Enforce time limit? in the Action itself, which can allow the character to teleport to their destination after a set time has passed - which is useful if they get stuck somehow. Just a temporary workaround until we can get to the bottom of the issue itself.

• Thanks for your quick response! The hotspot has trigger checked. I searched for colliders, and none of them seem out-of-place. El_TinPot still won't walk into the lift, but he will teleport. I think I'll continue with the lesson and come back to this issue later. Thanks again.

• Yeah! Figured my problem out. I listened to the next few seconds in the tutorial that mentioned the lift doors not having a collider and remembered I'd jumped the gun on that issue. I checked and found I'd added a collider to the lift itself when I should have added one to each of the doors or added a step to disable it as noted in the tutorial.

I'm all smiles now.

• Glad to hear it, thanks for the update!