Forum rules - please read before posting.

Custom character animations don't run if default sorting map is set?

edited May 2020 in Technical Q&A

I'm on Win7 and using older Unity 2018.2.11f1 and also using an older AC version (1.69.0) (was hoping to avoid updating right now unless it's really important)

I sort of assume this is just the way characters work, but I wanted to ask. I have a character who teleports and then is supposed to run a custom animation via Character:Animate. This works when no default sorting map is set, but when there is one, the character position change in the animation does not happen. (The clip in the Animator runs - the blue bar moves across - but no movement happens.) Is this standard behavior? Thanks.

Comments

• Yes - the GameObject with the Follow Sorting Map component attached (which should typically be the "Sprite child") has its position set.

What you can do, however, is move your actual animation / sprite graphics to a child of this "sprite child" instead - so that your hierarchy looks like:

-Root (Player / NPC component)
    -Sprite child (Follow Sorting Map component)
    -Actual character graphics (Sprite Renderer + Animator components)

This way, the Sprite Child will still have its position controlled by the FSM, but you can also animate the sprite's position separately.

• Thanks for the advice, I'll try that out soon. :)