Forum rules - please read before posting.

Best Interface Setting for Myst Like Game

Hey everyone!

I'm new to Unity and AC, but have already found this forum really helpful. I had a question about how best to set up my AC interface settings. I have spent a lot of time creating a scene of a haunted house and am now trying to build a click and move 3D game similar to Riven or Myst that has a stationary first person position with 360° rotation where the player can click on areas around the house to move static positions and explore and move around. Mostly I want the mouse to be the only input for the user so that I can create a very simple WebGL online game.

I'm not sure the best way to setup the interface settings in AC. Should I:
1. Choose "point and click" and set up dozens of cameras and hotspots that trigger camera switches to move around the house?
2. Choose "first person" and find a way to have hotspots trigger my main camera to move from Marker to Marker around the house. Would tracks help me with this?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @echoecho2587.

If you want the Player to be able to mouselook both horizontally and vertically, then you'll want to use First Person since you can then use the First Person Camera's free-aiming ability.

The Player: Constrain Action can be used to prevent movement in all four directions, and you can then place down Hotspots that cause the Player to move towards them when clicked.

If the mouselooking isn't so essential, you could also consider using the "Movement template: Nodes" package on the Downloads page, since this also features a "first person nodes" example that could be the kind of behaviour you're looking for.

• Thank you Chris! I've gone back and forth a dozen times now on which would be best. I'll try first person with hotspots and using the Player constraint action to limit movement. Do you happen to have any tutorials that show how to have hotspots trigger moving a first person player to fixed points?

• No, but it's pretty simple:

• Create a Marker at the "fixed point" position you want the Player to move to
    • In your Hotspot's Interaction ActionList, add a Character: Move to point Action that moves the Player to this Marker, with Wait until finish? checked